Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Grinds My Gears

You see, the problem isn't losing, it's the fact that there is nothing I can do about it.
If I lost because my opponent was superior to me, then by heavens I will congratulate the dickens out of that person/animal/inanimate object.  It is when there is absolutely nothing that I can do to possibly affect the outcome of the match when I get upset.

I don't know why I'm an optimist.
But I firmly believe that there is nothing involving me that is outside of my control.  DESPITE how many times this has been proven wrong to me.

For example, I don't remember having brain surgery on my list of things to-do, but it happened to me nonetheless and the precursor was completely outside of my control.  All I could control of the situation was how I reacted to it, not the outcome or if it happened at all.

I don't recall having my parents get divorced on the list, either.

Even though life has demonstrated to me a number of times that there are things that are outside of my control, I continue to believe that I am ultimately in charge of my own destiny.  That I make the choices.  I make the outcomes.
Why have I been instilled with this optimism?  I don't know.

I have been a student at BYU-Idaho for a total of 5 semesters, all of which I have participated in what they call "RecSports".  This is their lame excuse for a sporting program, seeing as how they removed the actual sports and teams upon the transition from Ricks College to BYU-Idaho.
Spring '11 - Grass Volleyball/Flag Football
Fall '11 - Indoor Volleyball
Spring '12 - Mud Volleyball
Fall '12 - Indoor Volleyball/Flag Football
Spring '13 - Flag Football
All but one of these semesters this organization has either wrongfully eliminated or tried to wrongfully eliminate my team from championships.
I won't go into full detail but know that they exist.

This just puts me in a foul mood.
I don't like it when I come up against something that I have no power over.

Maybe I have too much of a John Wayne complex still lingering from my teenage years...

I've moved on now, and I intend to drown my sorrow with video games, energy drinks, and Doritos.

Only because my fiancee isn't here, otherwise I would drown myself in her loving arms.
Which would be much better for my overall health I feel.

~Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment