Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Memory - All Alone In The Moonlight

It's been on my mind lately the potential of the human.
Obviously, from a spiritual standpoint the potential is IMMENSE!  Eternal and glorified, even.
But just from a physical standpoint.  Purely mortal.
I was driving the other day with my friend Ivan, and my iPod was playing on shuffle and All Star by Smashmouth just happened to come.  Now, I haven't heard this song in over 4 years and yet I CAN REMEMBER EVERY WORD.  How did it get so ingrained in my memory?
Now think about that power.  The power of recollection.  Not only simply remembering things, but the ability to recall an item/idea and time, emotion, persons, memories that go along with said item/idea.  That is crazy.
Now, on the flip side of this argument, I can't even remember to say my prayers every night.  How is it that something so powerful as the human mind can give meaning to something so trivial as a popular song from years gone by and give absolutely no credence to an eternal principle such as prayer?!
Along those same lines I ask you to examine my legs.  Right now they are crossed.
Now they are not.
My same friend Ivan has been studying a lot about etiquette and manners.  It is inappropriate of a man to cross his legs.  I did not know that until he told me so probably a month or two ago.  But now every time I catch myself crossing my legs, whether while I am reclined back with my legs in front of me or sitting erect with my feet tucked beneath a chair I can hear Ivan saying that that action is inappropriate.  Will this action to keep my legs separate ever become a habit?  Will I ever reach the point of just doing instead of having to hear that warning voice?  I don't know.  Either way, this is also, in the grand scheme of things, rather trivial.  Who really cares nowadays if I cross my legs?  No one that matters.
So again, I ask, why can't we remember the most important things in life, the most basic, idealistic principles but we can remember that we learned three days ago on TV that a reindeer and a caribou are the same thing?
***
I believe we should bring back the phrase "not".  It is super cool.  Not.
See what I did there?
But seriously.  It should make a comeback tour.

~Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment