Saturday, May 5, 2012

Hungry, Hungarian Hippos

Today's post is brought to you by the letter 'H'.
H.
This brief childhood flashback has been brought to you by the number 7.
:)

***

Today is the day to choose to be happy.
Sometimes, when I am sitting comfortably on my American-sized throne, I forget that I have so much to be happy about.
How can this happen?
I'll tell you how.
Entitlement.
This, in my opinion is the most corruptive word in the English language.
It's a terrible thing, this entitlement.
To believe that you have EARNED something.  That you are OWED something for your sacrifice, hard work, blood, sweat, and tears.
Did the Savior feel entitled to anything?
No.
So neither should I.
I feel that because I make a habit of keeping the commandment, attending my church meetings, paying my tithing, helping others, and just trying to be an all-around good person I am somehow entitled to happiness.
That happiness will just be thrust upon me.  That it will be presented in a pretty little package, just waiting for me to pick it up and open it.
Why?
Happiness isn't a destination.
Happiness isn't a state of mind.
Happiness isn't found in the journey.
You must discover what makes you happy.
You don't find it as if you were stumbling over it, lying in the middle of life's path.  You discover it after searching, working, digging, and praying for it.

Now, don't get me wrong.  You can certainly find things that will make you happy for a time lying in the path.
If this were to be a metaphor(which it is, since I am the author) as you walk along life's path, you are a child.
Children like to pick up cool things.
Shiny things.
Like neat looking rocks.
I know I did when I was a kid.  I had a whole pouch of 'em!
This is great.  Everyone needs to find something that brings them some measure of happiness.
But don't. pick up. ROCKS.
These rocks begin to burden us.  Weigh us down.  Cause us strain in this life that we needn't have!
Rocks are heavy.
They look cool.  They may be smooth and polished, blasted so by nature over thousands of millions of years.  Or they may be volcanic.  Filled with pits and bubbles with cracked and jagged edges.
But they will only weigh you down.
My biggest rock that I carry?
Things.

I LOVE things.
I love having things.  I love discovering things.  I love playing with things and finding out how exactly things works.
But things take up time. And space.
I have fond memories with things.  Things that are indoors, particularly.
It's not until I think of how much time I've spent with my things that I realize how happy I could have been doing something else.  Something more productive.  Something outside.

I sort of forgot where this tangaent was going...
So I shall stop living in the past, and instead live in the now!
NOW is the great day of our happiness.
"Adam fell that men might be; and men are, that they might have joy."
This life is for us to be happy.  To discover happy.  To live in such a way that we will truly be happy now and in to the eternities.

I know these things because of the greatest source of happy in my life.  The Gospel.
It has made me so happy.
The only time I really get upset or saddened is when I forget it, and it's far-reaching implications.  I forget that there will be justice.  That there will be mercy.  That I can trust in His promises and that He will make sure that I am happy.

***

I will close this post with sharing a couple of the things that bring me happy in this life.
This song makes me happy.  I can't be sad a hear it.  It simply causes all feelings of sadness to flee.  I first discovered it when I worked at American Eagle.  It made me happy then, too!

My childhood, while being so depressing at the time, makes me happy.
And yes, this Slowpoke represents my childhood.
ITMAYALSOBEMYLAPTOPBACKGROUND.
My upbringing made me who I am today.  I may not be perfect, but when I really get down to brass tax, I like who I am.

I make me happy.
I am a goof.  A big one.
I think that I hide this most of all when meeting new people.
I don't know if it's that I fear their rejection or what, but this picture accurately depicts me.
I can't jump very high(but getting better), I'm not in immaculate shape(but getting better), and I HAVE been to the Golden Gate Bridge.  Just once.

This is my best friend Ivan, and me, in downtown Minneapolis (I believe).
My friends make me happy.  And who better to represent my friends than my best friend, Ivan?

***

That's enough happy for today.
I should get out of the bathtub and go live a little, I suppose.

~Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment