Sunday, October 28, 2012

This Gets Me

One of my good friends who just returned home from her mission put as her status...
"There is nothing like returning to a place that remains unchanged to find the ways in which you yourself have altered."
- Nelson Mandela

This is awesome because it is exactly what happened to me tonight!

It being the Saturday before Halloween, there are bound to be TONS of parties to go to, right?
Right.
I found myself not wanting to sit home with my parents(or alone for that matter) so I decided to hit up one of my really good friends Kyle, who still lives in my home town of River Falls, Wisconsin.
Now, the quote isn't EXACLTY spot-on, because River Falls has changed quite a bit.  Yet, I feel it has still changed less than the rest of the world around it.  Or those who inhabit it/have moved away from it.
It's a town out of time.
Anywho...
He tells me of a party going on that should be fun and that one or two of my other high school friends will be in attendance at.  So naturally I think this sounds great!
And I was right.
The night was filled with silliness.
And geekiness.
More geekiness than silliness.
But still pretty equal amounts.

Let me preface the following information with the knowledge that my home town friends and I are really, really nerdy.
Being away from them has made me less nerdy, and much, much more sad.
In high school we had a section of the day comparable to homeroom/study/whatever that was after the first block but before the second block.  When we first started attending high school we just went to our own rooms, with our assigned teacher.
This got dull really quick.
There was a system in place that if you wanted to you could travel to the library or to another teachers room if they signed a slip and gave it back to your homeroom teacher.
We started going to the library.
And going off to one of the quiet study rooms.  And naturally it being a soundproof room, we were as noisy as possible.  Probably terribly annoying.
But we had loads of fun and didn't get ANYTHING productive done.
After the library caught on to our schemes they stopped letting us go there.
So we needed somewhere new to go.
So we chose the choir room.  Because the teacher loved us and we loved her.
(Have I mentioned I took choir all throughout my schooling?  Literally all throughout.  Every year.)
We would go to her room and we(the students who would travel there, not her) would play Marco Polo in a little section of the school not to far from the choir room where there was a boys and girls bathroom sectioned off from the rest of the school by two glass doors, much like unto a hallway.
We would go in this area every day and play Marco Polo.
And it was a riot.
Every day.

The reason I tell you this story is to tell you that we replicated this exact situation tonight.
We played in my friends kitchen.
And had a blast!
We were immediately back in high school, goofing around and being ultra-nerds.
There was only mild drinking at this party, but the laughter was louder than any party I've been to otherwise.
It's good to be back with old friends.

Oh, but the reason this all applies to the quote mentioned above is to see how much I have changed from who I was back in high school and see how much my friends have changed, but when we are together we are almost the same people we were, but only when we're together.  We bring out the past in one another.
And then we fit in with this little town out of time.

Of course, there are some things I did in high school that I don't go back to doing when around my friends, but only because my moral code has been strengthened quite a bit methinks.  Although good times are still to be had.

***

The rest of the day was pretty cool, too.
Raked some leaves in the morning/afternoon(I woke up at noon, so it was morning to me) to help my stepdad.  Raked the neighbors leaves just for the heck of it.  Took a shower.  Went to a ward party and handed out candy to kids out of the back of my mom's jeep.

***

I love soup.  So much.  Especially if it's tomato-based with loads of vegetables.
That is what I re-discovered at my ward party.

***

Oh, and did I mention after we got done playing Marco Polo in the kitchen we then went to a side room and played video games for another 2 hours?  Because that definitely happened.
And not just any video games.
Jamestown.
Look it up.
It's not just a normal game.
It's a game for really nerdy people who like to yell.

Which describes us perfectly.
M2K

~Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment