Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Love Languages and Other Linguistic Logarithms

As always, it has been too long.
This semester has been an extremely crazy one.  I can't even begin to describe all the crazy things that have gone on!
Ok, maybe I can begin...and so I shall.
***
Let me first begin by saying that today 7/11/12 is Brenton and Spenser's Punk Rock Day.(We really need to come up with a better acronym for that, I know)  Once a semester, at least, Brenton and I decide that for an entire day we will listen to nothing but Punk Rock music.  We had been contemplating this idea for a couple weeks already this semester, and today I just could not take it anymore, and decided that today was the day.  And so my life of rock has begun.
And it has been fantastic already!
Let me tell you why...
-Pretty lady smiles at me on the way to class. (I know, this has the potential of meaning absolutely nothing in the long run, but it was a good start to the day)
-Get to my first class.  It's canceled. BOOM!  Awesomeness ensues.

That's all it takes to give me a fantastic day.  How easy, right?
Oh, and of course Pandora is playing some wickedly awesome beats for me to enjoy.
***
Since my first class was canceled, I contemplated heavily what to do with my time.  I could go back home...but that would yield next to no benefits because no one is home, so I would be alone to watch something on the History channel.
And that just sounds like no fun.
So I went to the Gardens and sat in a gazebo for a matter of seconds trying to get internet.  It wasn't happening.  So I decided to ditch that effort and just come inside.
Where I read some of the Psychology posters before deciding to update my blog.
***
This semester has been filled with a lot of good times, but also a lot of self-exploration.  It all started just over two weeks ago when I was at Ririe Dam with some of my good friends.  A couple times this semester we have gone bridge/cliff jumping, but I never jumped.
It wasn't because I am afraid of heights.
It wasn't because I am afraid of water.
I couldn't explain exactly what it was that made me not want to jump.  There was just something inside of me that said no.  So naturally I, being the church-going, God-fearing person that I am, decided this was some sort of prompting and I should probably just keep following it and never jump and always remain a lame-o.
And so I did...for a while.
Yet, despite me never jumping, I kept going with my friends.  Something drew me towards the idea of jumping, but kept me back from doing so.
So there I was, at Ririe Dam.  Standing on the edge of the smallest possible "cliff" known to man.  It was more of a ledge than anything else.  Hardly 5 feet above the water and yet, despite the very small drop I still could not bring myself to jump.
What could it be that was holding me back?
And then it hit me like a large boulder crashing down from the cliffs above.
Change.
I was terrified of change.  Of becoming someone other than who I was.
Change is a strange topic.  Depending on how you view it, it can be a good thing or a bad thing.  It can be scary and it can be entirely harmless, even beneficial.
So I jumped.  And again.  And again.
I've jumped off many things, now.  And that fear is still there when I get to the ledge, but I recognize that strength doesn't come from getting rid of fear, but facing fear and overcoming it each and every time it shows up.
Since this realization I have made a couple life changes so as to make me a better person, I believe.
***
I have made a lot of lady friends over this semester.  A bunch that are entirely new, and some that were just acquaintances but are now good friends.
Needless to say, I have loved this semester.
DESPITE THE FACT THAT IT'S A BILLION DEGREES ALMOST EVERY DAY. KALVIN.
That's right.
It's 100,000 times hotter than the sun.  In Rexburg.
LUCKILY it's cloudy out today.  And freakin' beautiful!  It's cloudy and moderately temperatured and beautiful and it might rain and I love it.
***
Well, it's almost time for my next class to start, so I'm gonna go.

But I'll leave you with a little taste of the delights found in Rexburg during the spring.
Enjoy!
P.S. I apologize for the ramblings found in this post.  I really should have been more organized.

No comments:

Post a Comment