Thursday, February 3, 2011

Cough Cough Wheeze Sleep? Nah...

I am officially sick of being sick.  What's worse is the fact that I'm not even REALLY sick anymore.  I function 99% during the day (with an allowance of error of 1%) and then as soon as 2AM or so rolls around, I start coughing every 10 seconds.  
-Where is this cough during the day?  
-Why does it only come in the early mornings? 
-Why don't you just go to bed earlier, Spenser, and sleep through the cough?  
Well, my very astute reader, I am a creature of habit.  I like doing things because I have always done them.  Not all things mind you!  I like doing things because I like doing things, but there are certain parts of my schedule that I do simply because I have always done them and am not ready to give them up.
One of those things just happens to be my sleep cycle.
Sure, I am CAPABLE of going to bed earlier and waking up earlier and being like every other boring person on the planet...but I want to stay up.
-Well what do you do all those hours that you're awake while everyone else is sleeping?
I do all the things that YOU do while YOU'RE awake.  I practice guitar.  I play hackey-sack.  I eat.(snacks)  I drink.(water)  I play video games.  I even use the restroom every once in a while!  And most importantly, I learn!  That's right.  I study up on things.
-Like what?
Right now I'm reading a book that my step-aunt gave to me for Christmas, entitled 50 Great Myths Of Popular Psychology by Scott Lilienfeld.  I love Psychology.  I like learning about the human brain, and what exactly we think it does.  I like learning about people, and why they do things.  I like learning.  Period.
This book talks about, you guessed it(but only because you're so smart) 50 great myths of popular psychology!! Such things as, "The average human only uses 10% of their brain" and "opposites attract," are covered in the book and are completely debunked.
You see, even in reading this book I am finding glimpses of the Gospel.  Does the book ever speak of religious matters?  I don't think so.  My mind is just so fantastical that it puts them there!  I make my own little connections, because I think it's fun.
For instance, the biggest connection that I make with every page that I read is the common theme of truth behind lies.  Many(if not all) of these myths are based on facts.  BASED ON but not facts themselves.(that's why they're myths)  Many things that *satan tells us are half-truths.  What did he say in the garden of Eden?
Genesis 3:4-5 -- "And the serpent said unto the woman, Ye shall not surely die: For God doth know that in the day ye eat thereof, then your eyes shall be opened, and ye shall be as gods, knowing good and evil."
Now, I took the liberty of underlining the lie.  They WOULD in fact bring death, disease, and pain into this world by partaking of the fruit, but he did not lie about their acquisition of knowledge by partaking of the fruit.  That was true.
Half-truths...They are definitely no fun.
Now, is this a HUGE half-truth in the timeline of eternity?  Somewhat, and that's not really consequential to my statement right now, but it could be discussed in greater detail later.  So we will move on past that.  All that matters at this moment is that it fits my purposes.

*A little trick I learned from Sister Oaks(yes, the wife of Elder Dallin H. Oaks) when I heard her give a talk at the University of Utah Institute of Religion was that she never capitalizes satan.  She feels like that is her own little way to jab at him for being all evil and stuff, and it makes her feel good.  I thought it was funny and clever, so I have adopted this as well.
***
SO, that was one huge, fun sidetrack.
The point being, I don't like coughing when I don't feel like coughing.  I don't like going to bed early.  I don't like it Sam I Am, I do not like green eggs and ham. (Pineapple and ham, however, is quite delicious.  Especially when put on a pizza)

And so I will probably keep staying up late, hoping that this darn cough works itself out.
***
Oh ya, did I mention I lost my wallet two days ago(now three days ago, due to the time right now)?
I don't know where it is, or where I lost it, but it is definitely gone.  Somewhere.
Now I actually have to get a Minnesota Driver's License.  I have lived here for 2 years and 4 months, and I have avoided it this long, and NOW I have to get one.  Just a matter of weeks before I leave for Idaho.  Talk about bummers.
BUT, it is official now, I am living with Brain Bourgerie and Mike Lehman next semester in Apt. #9, and it is going to be the greatest semester of my life MOST DEFINITELY.
***
Now I guess I will go to bed, if this cough will let me...

~Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment