Friday, January 28, 2011

Except Me

Boy, the times they are a-changin' indeed!
Less than 3 months ago, I knew less than 3 people who were engaged.  Now, I can think of...at least 6.  NONE OF WHICH ARE THE ORIGINAL 3!!
Moral of the story:  Everyone is getting married.
Ivan and I have talked about this a couple times*  The crazy fact that seemingly everyone we know is getting married!  Or has plans to get married sometime soon.  Now, of course there are a couple factors working against us.  Most notably that we are at a marrying age.  People in there early-to-mid twenties get married.(At least in Mormon culture)  Even people OUTSIDE of our religious mindset get married sometime in their 20's, usually.  And so I am left to wonder what is so very wrong with myself that I am not part of this mass that seem to all be jumping aboard the same train to Marriagetown.  Some would argue that perhaps it is not something wrong with you so much as it is something wrong with the world.
I have no problem telling these people they are wrong and there is definitely something wrong with me.
OK, well, maybe not "wrong" with me, but it is definitely out of my choosing.  I have a few major issues with where I can currently fall economically, educationally, socially, etc. that make me feel uncomfortable with being married at this exact point in time.
Don't get me wrong.  I love the thought of marriage.  I want to be married.  Very.  Very badly.  BuuuuUUuUUuUuuuuUuuut, I just don't see myself being able or willing to go on sincere dates or hold really meaningful relationships when I am living in my parents basement, working in a sub-par retail position, with little-to-no education in my intended field.  (or it's really just a downstairs, seeing as how the door to the ACTUAL basement is directly next to the entrance to my room)
But alas, soon I shall move on to Idaho, to the land where young, single LDS women flow like honey.
*See 'every day.'

Now, I know of the danger in believing that the grass is always greener on the other side.  Trust me.  I know too well the dangers of thinking of tomorrow being better than today.  The truth is that tomorrow is just another day. Like today.  And yesterday.  And every day before that, or any day AFTER that.  Days are days are days.
They are what we make of them.
If I wake up in the morning and believe that I'm going to have a great day, I WILL have a great day because I will be looking for the great things in it.  If I wake up thinking today is going to suck, it WILL suck because I will be looking for the bad things all day long so that I can keep myself down in the rut that I chose to dig.
It's a principle called self-fulfilling prophesy.  Read about it.  It's true.
People for the last couple years have wondered how I can stay so positive, even during times that SHOULD be hard for the average person.  I have two answers:
1.)I want to be happy, so I am happy.
2.)OBVIOUSLY the Gospel.  What did you think I was going to say, adventure?  Drugs?  Money?  Silly Goose, Trix are for kids with dulled taste buds.
THAT BEING SAID...
-I know that Idaho isn't inherently going to be better than the situation that I am in now.
-I know that the reason I'm not married is because I haven't been making myself available for marriage.
-I know that life is what I make of it.
I'm going to make it happy.

I have a couple hurdles to go through(or over, I guess would be the more correct terminology) and then I will be ready.  And when that day comes.  Look out world.
***
Alka Seltzer Plus Night Time tastes horrible(even if the package says Lemon, I know that it really means baby giraffe urine.) but BOY does it make you sleepy.  I am going to go pass out now.

~Boy

P.S. I love hacky sack.  So very, very much.
P.P.S. I have been blessed far more than I deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment