Sunday, January 23, 2011

Nightmare Kitchen

When was the last time you hugged someone and meant it?
Perhaps you're much different than me, and hug people only because you genuinely like them, or for some other reason.
I used to be that way.
Now, due to my friend group's frequency of hugging, or prior frequency (things have slowed down a bit), when I hug someone, it's out of repetition, habit, etc.  I haven't really been hugging people for the right reasons.
People used to tell me that they loved my hugs because they were genuine.  Because I hugged them like they really cared.  I didn't know what they were talking about at first because that's the only type of hug I gave.  Now, after much desensitization I have realized what they meant.

The last two nights I've had the opportunity to spend time with my good friend, Kyle.  It was great fun, and when the night was over I felt closer to him, and gave him sincere hugs as he left.  It felt different than my usual hugs, and I think that he could feel that difference.  It probably felt more like my hugs used to.

Signs of affection are funny.
***
You can't dig yourself out of a rut, digging only results in deeper ruts.  You must climb out of a rut.  Seek for higher ground.
And if need be, grab the hand of One who already stands on higher ground.  Then turn around and help those who were in the rut with you out.  That way you all profit together.

~Boy

No comments:

Post a Comment