Sunday, August 26, 2012

Weird Feeling On My Cheek

My mind is all over tonight, so I will apologize beforehand.
That was bad.
My dad told me once upon a time that you should never begin a talk by giving the topic of your talk because if the audience/congregation can't figure out what you're talking about and you instead have to give it to them, you've failed.  I've come to believe this!  I also have come to think that you should never begin a talk by apologizing.
You should also never start a blog post by apologizing.
"BUTHEY,YOUSHOULDNEVERSTARTABLOGPOSTWITHARANTABOUTNOTAPOLOGIZINGEITHER."
ok.  sorry.
***
There was a big group of us that went up to St. Cloud yesterday.  Back to the Quarry.
AND IT WAS STILL AMAZING.
Took so many videos.
That I hope to have uploaded to the internet *soon.
*=see someday.
***
In the last couple days I have discovered, or should I say rediscovered, a bunch of things that I enjoy or dislike.
a.)Reading the scriptures.  Especially with family.
-I was over at my friend's house TWICE when his family decided to have
SORRY I JUST LEARNED SOMETHING AWESOME
Haboob is the name for a giant wall of sand in a sandstorm.  Go figure.
THAT'S ALL
scripture study time.  It was great!!  The dad had a thought that he shared, and as he was talking I had scriptures and talks flooding into my mind that I shared as well and the whole thing became a big discussion and it was great.  It reminded me how great it can be to study the scriptures with others, and how much you can learn from one another.
b.)Food experiences!
-Going to the state fair always introduces a huge new world of food.  My favorites are of course deep fried cheese curds, big fat bacon on a stick, mini donuts, and sweet martha's cookies.
(In case you have never been the the Great Minnesota Get Together, our gimmick is putting things on a stick.  You can get anything on a stick.  Including beer.)
I decided to try alligator on a stick this year.  AND IT WAS FANTASTIC!!  Absolutely fantastic.
And this got me thinking...I enjoy trying new foods.
I recall a time on my mission(this was about 5 months in) when my companion and I were invited to a nice asian families home and they offered us dried squid.  IT WAS OK!  Not fantastic by any means, but I would have no problem eating it again.
***
This has reminded me of a song/story/video...
Today, while sorting through the videos I want to upload, I was looking for an appropriate song in my iTunes to act as a soundtrack.  I found one that I really like, but doesn't fit the mood quite perfectly enough for my liking.
BUT it reminded me of the story of how I came across this song for the first time....
The song is Burn One Down by Ben Harper.
This song is QUITE obviously about drugs, but I refused to acknowledge that fact for the first *2 years I knew about the existence of this song.
*=I say 2 years, but it was more like 20 months.  This happened during my mission
I was introduced to it after a "travelling AP" spent the night in my apartment  and had brought one of his custom CDs with him.  It was filled to the brim with Jack Johnson, Ben Harper, and other non-mission appropriate music.  He happened to leave this CD in my player when he left and so I kept it.
I was young and impressionable, so I blame none of my faults on myself.
I would listen to this song and enjoyed it, but ignored the subject matter.
I'll give you a taste of just how hard I had to try and ignore it.
Let us burn one from end to end.
Pass it over to me, my friend.
Burn it long,
but burn it slow
to light me up before I go.
(Now comes the part that could actually be interpreted other ways that AREN'T related to drugs)
If you won't light my fire
don't come around
'cause I'm gonna burn one down.

You see, it's a song about if you have a problem with something, you don't have to be involved with it.  I won't hate on you for your imperfections, you don't hate on me for mine.
This message appealed to me, of course, being a high school social outcast.
It's very mellow, so I justified listening to it somehow.
Luckily(probably) the CD was taken back by the AP just a matter of months later right before he went home.
I purchased it once I got home, however, because it brought back good memories.  That is when I realized what it was about, and quickly laughed at myself.
Either way, good song.  Still like it.
Wasn't right for the video, though.
***
I had something else I was going to write, but I can't think of what it was for the life of me.
(Probably because I can barely remember my own birthday right now I'm so scatter-brained)
...and distracted.

So I'm just going to go ahead and take the beard picture and end this nonsense.
(This is roughly what I would look like if I fell asleep right now)
*The More You Know*

~Boy




P.S. I DO remember one thing I was going to post about!
Not everyone may enjoy reading my blog, or agree with it's subject matter, because it's basically just about my life and my experiences and sometimes that may not be fun for others to read.  But I do it because some days I love to go back and read my other blogs that I had in high school and just laugh at the things I wrote.  Most of the memories I can remember, but there are some things I wrote that I have no recollection of whatsoever!  And it's things like that that keep me writing on here.  Because 5, 10, 20 years down the road I want to come back, look at this and think "Boy.  I sure was a goofy sausage."
That's all.
Bed time now.

No comments:

Post a Comment